Ride With Purpose Association, otherwise known as “The Water Buffalos” challenged the California/Nevada Section, this year’s host for AWWA’s Annual Conference and Exposition (ACE), that they could not raise more money for Water For People than they could. The Iowa Section was proud to again be a sponsor who supported the Water Buffalos who won the challenge by raising over $100,000 for the ride.
The Water Buffalos are motorcycle riding enthusiasts and water and wastewater professionals from all over the United States and Canada. Each year their ride begins from several locations across the two countries and ends at the location where ACE is being held. “THE RIDE” as it has come to be known amongst members of the group is in the spirit of raising money and awareness for non-profit organizations that provide safe drinking water, sanitation services and environmental stewardship to communities in need, both in the U.S. and abroad. There are currently over 80 members from across the U.S. & Canada, and the ACE15 ride was a record breaker for the group. The President of the organization is Alex Hood, an AWWA member from the Indiana Section, and he was able to offer up the following, staggering statistics:
- On the 2015 ACE ride there were eight different brands of motorcycles ridden.
- There were members from 12 AWWA sections representing 13 states & 3 Canadian provinces.
- There were 27 total motorcycles, and 32 total participants.
- Amongst the riders there were 119 vacation days that were used for a total of 174 days spent on the road amongst the members getting to and from ACE.
- He estimated somewhere around 1,500 gallons of gasoline was consumed, riding a total of 60,430 miles.
Many in the group are directionally challenged, and a straight line between point A & B is not the preferred route to ACE…..or anywhere for that matter. The members of Ride With Purpose do not use any of the money that they raise to offset their, or any other riders expenses, and they travel and fundraise on their own time and dime.
For more information about the Water Buffalos, visit http://ridewithpurpose.org/.
Tell your friends, sign up, make a difference in the world, and have the absolute time of your life doing it. Horns Up!